Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Posidonius and Chacornac

Bizibilder

Another clear night (before the clouds rolled in!) and another sketch. This time I have redrawn the sketch on much better quality cartridge paper which seemed to help with the ease of getting the evenness of shading that I want. I have also returned to the felt tip and gel pens for the jet black shadows as I prefer these to even an 8B pencil.

Having had a look back over my sketches and comparing them to photos I am beginning to think that I an "underdoing" the depth of shading. In photos the Moon is "mid-grey" and I seem to render it a very light shade!! Any comments welcome!!

Evostar 120mm x200

It was worth the wait, B... nicely done. :D

Lunar albedo of the same feature can appear different, depending on the light angle and the libration. I've seen Posidonius' floor appear to be lighter than Mare Serenitatis, and i've also seen it appear to be darker than the mare. TBH, i think you should just draw what you see in the eyepiece and stop comparing your sketches to images. You're doing just fine as-is. :)

Thanks, Bizi. Your sketch has a nice 3d feel about it, I like the way you've rendered those long shadows. :D

Your making me feel guilty now though, for not having a go at sketching myself yet.

Archived