NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Oh no.. Mono woe

I have been using my Skywatcher 150PL ( a cracking scope if anyone is thinking of getting one!) for a month now. More than well pleased with the views presented to me, all bar one gripe.

It seems that all the stars appear white in colour. Arcturus is documented as being orange in colour, what I see at low power is more like a car headlight on full beam, truly a stunning sight but brilliant white with star burst radiating out.

At present I am still using the stock eyepieces that came with the scope but will be upgrading pretty soon.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.. :D

Hi, Star colours are usually very subtle visually. Some descriptions sound like the colours are very obvious, but very often they are not. However, try Albireo, rising in the east after dark in May. The colours are about as strong as you will get. Sometimes putting a star just a tad off focus can make any colour a bit easier to see. Hope this helps, Ed.

Sometimes putting a star just a tad off focus can make any colour a bit easier to see.

Yes - very bright objects will "bleach" but faint ones will always appear grey/pale bluish green because of the way the eye works.

Colours are never going to match what you see in images. The camera always lies!

Best colour contrasts are often in open clusters - the Double Cluster is full of "red" stars, try that, look carefully & see if you can find some of them.

Also, It is usually easier to spot the colour (or a difference in colour, rather) in the double star, where the two stars are contrasty (e.g. Almach in Andromeda, already mentioned Albireo, 24 Comae Berenices etc.)

Marius

Thanx for the info everyone. Seems I am expecting a bit too much too quickly. What it was origonally the reference book I`m using (Nortons star atlas ) describes the componant parts of binaries as different colours. Some good advise taken on board.. thanx again..

Albireo is a good one to try.

The "star burst" you see on Arcturus is diffraction, caused by the spider holding the secondary mirror. The effect will always be more noticeable on bright objects. It can also, I think, have something to do with muting colour, so best try fainter stars.

My guess is that scattered light will also affect colour. My 12" Skywatcher shows star colours less well than the 8" Orion I used to use, and I think it's because it's less well baffled. Some scopes show colour better than others. And of course some eyepieces are better than others.

But I wouldn't worry about the set-up you've got, just try some easier stars and enjoy the views. An excellent red one is the Garnet Star (mu Cephei).

I've just got in from looking at Albireo on a similar set up. The difference in colour is there - just very subtle.

But when you think they are 400 light years away - and you tell which is hottest - gotta love it.... way cool..!

My first view of Albireo was with a 40mm long-focus achromat when I was a teenager - the colour contrast was stunning. As I say, some scopes show it better than others - but also some eyes will be more sensitive than others. Mine aren't as good nowadays as they were 30 years ago.

Archived