Prime Focus is too far down

I have now got my ToUcam up and running and in the 30 seconds before the clouds rolled in last night managed to get it saturn'd. One thing became apparent though. I cannot focus in enough without my barlow. Not a problem for planetary as I will have to be balowed up to the eyeballs to get anything on my f5 scope anyway but more of a pain for the moon where a barlow is the last thing i wanted to use.

Any quick dirty fixes for this or is it, as i suspect, a thing i will need top live with (at least until i get a focal reducer( on second thoughts will one work??))

Kit is as in sig.

TIA

(at least until i get a focal reducer( on second thoughts will one work??))

I am assuming that you are using your Skywatcher 130P Reflector - if so, a focal reducer will not work well with this kind of telescope as it will greatly exaggerate coma.

Perhaps the low-profile webcam adaptor is what you need, AC624. Could you reach focus if you don't use the existing adaptor but just hold the webcam as close to the focuser as you can?

CCD and Webcam Accessories

i had to use 1 of these on my ETX 70 of which i sold. I still have the shorty barrel and would prefer a longer now that i ahve a mak127... if you want to swap eyepiece adapters then let me know. I can send next day delivery if you can too??? its in excellent like new condition. Please not they do not have stops so will drop down as far as you camera housing will let you and the barrel being short doeesnt hit the stops inside your diagonal :-)

Thanks for the answers i will take a look and see if the low profile will help, I think the ccd is set quite far back so this makes sense.

It is possible that i have moved the primary when collimating but as my eps all achieve focus im not too keen to move it, they do all achieve it quite low down so again this is a possible culprit.

I know the scope will never provide any earth shattering pics, its all just a playing thing atthe moment to see where the hobby leads me. It is oddly satisfying watching it on a webcam but not as pretty.... which way will i lean visual or imaging...

As I have my eye on a nice big dob for my next scope (i hope the wife doesnt read this!) im thinking visual!

Archived