celestron eyepiece kit

evening people. Nice clear sky tonight in essex :)

lets hope its like this tommorow when my c100-edr arrives lol.

anyway i've been looking at getting the celestron eyepiece kit and just wanted some opinions on if its a good starter set to give me a wide range of magnifications or if i would be better of buying a couple of good quality single pieces to the magnifications i think i will get the most enjoyment out of for the objects i want to view.

thanks.

Its a tough call. I had a Celestron set and quite liked it. The smallet EP in the range was too small for me but it helped me refine what I wanted when I upgunned to better eyepieces. The Revelation set is also reputed to be very good.

Lots depends on what you want to spend. Theres certainly a view that you will only ever really use 2 or three eyepieces with a scope.

Generally a high power for planets, a medium power for deep sky (typically around 13-15 mm) and a low power widefield like a 32mm.

An awful lot depends on what you want to look at and thats soemthing few beginners can ever define accurately. I would personally wait until you have some eyetime in and have a clearer idea of what it is you most want.

thanks for the advice. i done a bit of research into the revelation set and found some interesting threads on here that suggest its the best set for my scope so am gonna go for that as my "beginners" set. :)

I think that you'd be better off in the long run buying a few decent EPs, rather than a kit full of cheapies, half of which you'll probably hardly ever use.

Your first stop should be The Warthog's guide to choosing EPs: Eyepieces - the very least you need.

But, for the time being, go with the EPs that come with it. Spend some time using and getting comfortable with your new equipment, you'll soon get a feel for what focal lengths you're missing.

The barlow in the celestron kit is reasonable but basic. The two smallest e/p's were unuseable for me cos I don't want to be peeking into 3mm diameter holes. The other e/p's and filters were fine - particularly the 32mm and 40mm. But I would have preferred the Revelation kit especially with it's photo accessories and better useability.

If I'd known what I was looking for at the time, I'd much rather have gone for a bunch of hand picked e/p's. But I was a total newbie back then. :)

The 2X barlow in the Celestron kit is CRUD. The 4-6mm EPs are pretty USELESS unless you have a 5" scope or bigger. The rest of the EPs are very good.................the 32mm is AMAZING.

Filters are of some use on planets and the Moon filter is great also.

Much as i like the kit i cant sell mine now because the 4mm EP has a crack on it. Which for me is fine cuz i tossed it into the bin because i simply could not use itwith or without the crack.

if you can join a local astronomy club take advantage of using other peoples eyepieces in your scope and see how you get on with various sizes before committing to buy some decent ep's that you'll actually use. The TAL x2 barlow is very good as is the more expensive celestron one and with a bit of thought you'll only need a few eps and a barlow (ie dont buy a 20 and a 10 as 20 becomes a 10 with a barlow)

Archived