A quick Baader Hyperion vs. Orion Stratus comparision.

GazOC

My 8mm, 13mm and 21mm Baader Hyperions arrived today courtesy of www.firstlightoptics.coM, the eyepieces arrived promtly and in perfect condition, a nice touch was the leather pouches the individual eyepieces came in. Unfortunalty I'm not going to be able to use them for a couple of nights due to working nights so I thought I do a quick purely cosmetic/ fit and feel comparision with the new eyepeices and the 17mm Orion Stratus I already own.

The two brands of eyepiece are obviously the same model, the look, grips and general format are pretty much the same. The coatings on the Baader seem to be deeper hue of green the the Orion, time will tell if this translates into better views.

The both eyepieces are able to the used in both 1.25" and 2" fittings but the Baader has a safety undercut on the 2" barrel as well as the 1.25" barrel, the Orion only has this feature on the 1.25" barrel. Another difference is the thread at the top of the Baader eyepiece to directly attach a camera to the eyepieces, which is something the Orion lacks.

Other than that the eyepieces are pretty much identical, from first impressions it just seems a lot more "thought" (or less penny pinching if you're cynical :wink:) has gone into the Baaders than the Orions, the 2" undercut, camera thread and pouch are nice touches make that bit of difference, given that the two ranges are pretty much the same price why not get the "free extras"?

Full review to follow... :grin:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived