HEQ5 controller - SynScan Handset

The handset for the HEQ5 controls the movement of the mount RA and DEC. Is there a reason why the Synscan handset can't do the same job.

I have the handset from an AltAz Skywatcher 70mm and wondered why I am told it can't be used. Not being techie in any way I am puzzled.

Anybody with an understandable explanation?

• 2 weeks later...
Do you mean track as in RA driven or track as in autoguide. The mount has both RA and DEC axis drives and tracks at sidereal rate when in use. The handbox can be modified to take a ST4 autoguide port using this information Convert EQ type dual axis controller

Peter

Hi Peter

Done a bit of snooping around re the mod to the handset. Andy at Astromiser has the bits but doesn't make them up as he doesn't think they work (that's not a quote). I have heard of others who done it are happy with the results. Do you know if any members of SGL have done this mod?

Danny

What a bummer - I had hopes

You can convert the HEQ5 into an HEQ5-Pro.

The upgrade kit (£299) includes a handset as well as replacement motors. However, if you speak nicely to a friendly supplier, they might be able to sell you just the motor boards for ~£120, since the (unwanted) handset retails for £179 seperately.

You might need to reflash your AltAz handset to another software revision - and even this might still not be possible (are all SynScan handsets the same in terms of memory etc?)

(just a thought anyhow - but probably more money than you were hoping to spend!...)

Archived