NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What's Billy been up to today - EQ3 Pier

Psychobilly

Took a Day of work to get my new Pier Fabricated...It's Very handy having the right sort of contacts :D

1350mm of 90mm OD 5.5mm thick tube with 4 250x45x6 fins to stop the pipe turning when its cast into the concrete foundations the top plates are 6mm mild steel laser cut to 150mm diameter with the holes for the 12mm leveling bolts etc all cut in as well..

Welded by a man who can...

At the moment the overall height is 1500mm - 500mm will be sunk into the concrete foundations (300kg of concrete and fill stones) leaving the top plate at 1000mm above grade...

post-14969-133877444927_thumb.jpg

Off to paint and dig an hole...

Peter...

Bit more than a welder friend the brothers are the MD and TD of a Fabrication company so I let the coded welders get on with it...I draw it they make it...for a contribution to the "coffee fund"...and the occasional returned favour when i machine up custom anvils for the pemsert machines...

It's 3" Schedule 80 pipe 0.3" thick tube and its only for an EQ-3 pro with a DSLR on it with a 200mm fl teleguider... I dont think I'll worry too much about the triangualtion... The metal work weighs around 50lb...

Given it the first coat of paint...

Dug my favoured tapered hole where its roughtly twice as wide at the bottom as it is at the top and driven a length 3"x3"x1/4" into the ground to be cast into the concrete with the pier...

Hopefully the pier will be put in the ground tomorrow weather permitting and I'll start on the adaptor...

I like overkill.... tends to mean you only do the job once....

As an example look how many Victorian Civil Engineering projects are still "standing" and functioning compared to the more recent Computer Aided Minimalist designs...

A change of pier adaptor should also be all thats required if i ever upgrade the mount...

Peter...

I like overkill.... tends to mean you only do the job once....

As an example look how many Victorian Civil Engineering projects are still "standing" and functioning compared to the more recent Computer Aided Minimalist designs...

A change of pier adaptor should also be all thats required if i ever upgrade the mount...

Peter...

Quite agree.

Olly

Archived