NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone Got Hyperion 21mm in 200p

Received my Baader Hyperion 21mm this morning and had a good go with it tonight in my 200P and I'm not sure I'm happy.

I could do with anyone else who has the same combination giving their opinion.

Firstly, with the 1.25 removed, I have a slight blurry spot in the middle, it's as if the shadow of the secondary is there, which to me it shouldn't be as with my 32mm panaview i don't get that.

With the 1.25 in place, it's still there only less so.

Also, if I put both my 28mm and 14mm tuning rings into it, I can't get focus, not enough inward travel.

It was worst on the moon, had a look at Saturn too where the dark patch isn't prominent but there seems to be an area dead centre that's sort of a bit blurry.

I connected my camcorder up to it and did a shot of the moon and you can see the imperfection in the middle of the moon. Has anyone else got the same combination and/or anyone got any ideas? Or have I got a faulty one since reports I've read on the 21 have always been brilliant. The moon pic added below so you can see what I mean, this was with 1.25 screwed in so out of the box eyepiece as it were. if it wasn't for the flaw in middle I'd be really pleased with this pic as it was only with my camcorder screwed on.

post-18181-133877443951_thumb.jpg

Did you check to see if the eyepiece had some dew or moisture in the centre. I was all ready to give up on my 32mm Adler because it had a dark spot when i first used it. Came up with reasons for what it might be, the main culprit i thought was a shadow of the secondary. But on closer inspection in the shed i noticed there was a circle of moisture in the centre. I held the eyepiece in my hand for a while, it vanished and the view was perfect. Looking at your posted image it looks the same.

The tuning rings are pushing the focus point outwards and your focuser doesn't have enough inward focus travel to compensate. It's a common thing for the 200P, mine is the same. I did consider getting the Antares low profile dual speed crayford but it's just more expense.

I'm prepared to try anything at the mo and will try it again when it's clear. I actually really want it to be fixable as apart from that patch, I was really really pleased with the views, I mean, my pic above is simply a camcorder screwed on, gives you an idea of what the actual view was like as it was way better. if it wasn't for the patch i'd have been really happy with that pic.

I've got a 200P and a 21mm Hyperion and find them a superb combination. I now have a different focuser, but with the standard focuser I never had trouble getting focus. This perhaps lends support to the idea it's dew or something like that.

The only eyepiece with which I can see the secondary is a 38mm Panaview, and even then it's only noticeable during the day.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

It's been cloudy or a bad time to retest since i first posted this, can now verify it is NOT dew/mist. The moon pic above shows the effect somewhat, but also, say i focus up on saturn, if i move my head about, or the scope, so that saturn travels across field of view, at edges it's crystal clear, as it travels across center of field of view, the best way i can describe it is it's like saturn passes through a 'ripple' in the middle, then comes out the other side clear.

It's now gone back to supplier but looking at the optics i cant really see anything but my theory is either a faulty coating or a bad grind on one of the lenses in the eyepiece, really frustrating though. Will keep this thread updated when i know more.

Where did you get it from? If it's Green Witch or RVO, then rest assured - I've had great service from them when things have gone wrong and they've allways made sure I was satisfied with any outcome when I sent stuff back. Harrisons and Sherwoods are also good and attentive though I never sent anything back to them yet. FLO will also look after you, naturally :D

RVO, (Rother valley Optics) I always deal with them, Ian has always looked after me and will always get my business, never ever had a problem with service and would highly recommend. definitely a strange and puzzling problem though, but the pic above shows somethings not quite right somewhere.

Archived