Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Moon 22/04/10

Phil73805

I was looking at the moon last night through my 15x70 binoculars and admiring the amazing detail available when I bother to mount the bins on a tripod. The thought then occured, hey, why not take my camera, put on the zoom lens and take a high res shot?

Well below is the result of that train of thought. The shot was taken with my Canon EOS 400D Digital SLR. The focal length of the lens was 300mm, F-ratio was F8 and exposure time was 0.01sec or 1/100 with an ISO speed of 200. I had to crop the shot to get it to a decent size and it doesn't respond well to being further magnified. I did use the 'clarify' function of Paint Shop Pro 10 (strength 5.0) to bring out the detail.

I'm fairly pleased with this result as a first try. I think I can do better with a little experimentation...

post-13572-133877442838_thumb.jpg

Phil, considering how hard you had to crop that image in, that's come out very nicely. If you crop so the moon is on a third line and leave some space to the terminator side, it appears to be better detailed as it's smaller in the frame.

divide the frame into thirds... crop the image so the moon appears on about one of those lines. I hope you don't mind, but they say a picture speaks a thousand words... I won't embed it... but too see what I mean,

click here

Archived