I had a thought...

Caz

... I know, don't get them very often, but this came to mind last night.

In the shops now they have whats called a 'Skyscout' Yes? Identifies stars?

Well, for the beginner, like myself, I was wandering, why don't they adapt this peice of kit, somehow, or adapt a finderscope whereby it will identify the star your looking for?.

Stupid Idea? :scratch:

I don't know about anyone else, but when searching for particular stars, I lose my way every now and then, because lets face it they more or less look the same....

Just a thought....

Caz :wink:

No..Not stupid Caz....A portable GOTO which can be used on any scope or any thing...

I am very interested in this bit of kit for the very idea you have thought of. I suffer badly with poor eyesight to the extent that swapping between finderscope and eyepiece is getting more and more difficult...What I need to invent is and autofocus finderscope and eyepiece adapter!.

I have done some reserch on the Skyscout and it's a very clever bit of kit indeed. Although non magnifying it can locate hundreds of celestrial objects by your current location, altitude and attitude. With an adapter it could render the finderscope redundant.

However it can be sensitive to magnetic interference so it needs to be kept away from steel, iron and electric motors...What are scopes and mounts made of!

even so I am very keen.

Greg

However it can be sensitive to magnetic interference so it needs to be kept away from steel, iron and electric motors...What are scopes and mounts made of!

Pleased you like the idea Greg, it makes perfect sense to have a finderscope with identifying capabilites, but there lies a problem, as you pointed out.... How close to steel does it have to be, before interferance becomes evident? The finderscope bracket could be made of plastic rather than metal?

Caz

Archived