Nexstar 6SE owners........ How do you find the contrast on them ?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What you should ALL have bought (this is so obvious, so come on boys and girls) is A SIX INCH APO!!!!

Assuming of course that a 6.1" apo wasn't available. :)

Sorry guys ... good apos make images which look very nice to the eye but there's more detail in the image from a larger SCT, even if the image looks scruffier. Also a 6" SCT is airline cabin baggage friendly, I wouldn't like to carry a 6" apo far.

Assuming of course that a 6.1" apo wasn't available. :)

Sorry guys ... good apos make images which look very nice to the eye but there's more detail in the image from a larger SCT, even if the image looks scruffier. Also a 6" SCT is airline cabin baggage friendly, I wouldn't like to carry a 6" apo far.

Now we're talking. Personally I cannot abide scruffiness, which is why I replace my clothes once every ten years whether they need it or not.

I'll settle for an image that looks nice to the eye cos that is my preferred organ for observing! I do, to a point, see what Brian means but there is a danger, it seems to me, of saying that the SCT would have more detail if only you could see through the mush to get to it...

Olly

Got to agree with Olly here. As a purely visual planetary observer the quality of the image to my eye is paramount.

I've had an SCT and a Mak that due to horrendous cooling problems and high central obstructions could not deliver a nice image to the eye. In contrast, my refractor shows tremendous detail as does my 8" newtonian.

It seems to me that even when imaging if you start off with a sharper image you will end up with more detail after processing ???

Got to agree with Olly here. As a purely visual planetary observer the quality of the image to my eye is paramount.

It seems to me that even when imaging if you start off with a sharper image you will end up with more detail after processing ???

Indeed. As they say, rubbish in, rubbish out!

Olly

Yes, I think you have to separate the visual and the imaging side of things. It's true that there's more detail to to extracted from a larger SCT etc. when imaging and with all the various processing that goes on afterwards to come up with the final image. However for just visual use the APO punches above it's weight (aperture?) as the detail can be seen right then and there by the good old human eyeball.

John

Archived