Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finding My First DSO??

theengel

I've seen Saturn and Mars. But I desperately want to see my first DSO. I think I might have spotted M44 last night, but I'm not sure.

I'm using my brother's Celestron 21066 with a 25mm & 4mm eyepiece.

When I view it with the 25mm, it just looks like a dot... plus the light from Mars kind of makes it hard to see better. When I move to the 4mm, it's so dim that I can't see it, and my telescope is so shaky that it moves from view when I fine-tune the focus.

Any suggestions for what a beginner (with a cheap telescope) should be looking for as a "my first DSO" project?

Oh--I'm in Ohio.

M44 should look more then just a dot of light through any scope, even binoculars will show a little cluster of quite a few stars.

I think the problem is either:

1. You have not focused correctly

2. You are missing M44

3. You have your object but the 25mm eyepiece has put you inside M44 and you need a widerfield eyepiece to appreciate the whole of the cluster.

M44 is in between 2 bright stars in the constellation of cancer. Under dark skies it's visible naked eye as a brighter area in between those 2 stars. Right now you can use Mars too, along with those 2 stars to find it easier.

The trick to find it is to make a positive ID on the cancer constellation, once you do that it becomes easy.

EDIT: It should look like this with the 25mm:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-sketches-unconventional/91943-sketch-m44-beehive-cluster.html

The 4mm won't add anything to it as stars in the cluster will appear more distant from each other and you'll only see part of it. As a general rule for DSOs: they look better with an area of dark sky around so you can see the contrast.

2. You are missing M44

I think this is probably the problem. I'll try again tonight, provided my kids will go to bed and let me out for a few minutes. Last night, they knew I was out with the telescope, so they kept sneaking downstairs and getting into junk. I had to keep running back and fourth between the telescope and the kitchen.

Thanks Doc and Pvaz.

I think I finally found it. I drew a picture while I was out there (In don't have a camera or anything yet). I don't think this would help anyone else, but I'm gonna attach it anyway because I'm proud of myself.

v6uqsk.jpg

I think I finally found it. I drew a picture while I was out there (In don't have a camera or anything yet). I don't think this would help anyone else, but I'm gonna attach it anyway because I'm proud of myself.

v6uqsk.jpg

Well it's definitely a cluster so I would say you captured your first Messier object well done.

Maybe go for M3 or M13 next. they are globulars and they will appear in your scope as large fuzzy stars.

Speaking as someone who could not draw a circle round a plate, I think that is a really good first drawing. Keep up with the drawings (never mind a camera at the moment). Check out some of Talitha's drawings on the forum. And people keep saying that drawing objects makes you actually see what you are looking at. I look forward to your future offerings.

Nice congrats.

You should really take a look at M42 next. It's pretty easy to find after sunset, that is if you have a clear view to the southern horizon.

Thanks.

I think I just have too much light pollution. I could see two small stars close together, and then a brighter one. But I couldn't see M42 at all, and if I used a more powerful eyepiece, stuff just faded out. I have a friend who lives in the country, and as soon as I can, I'll set up in his field.

people keep saying that drawing objects makes you actually see what you are looking at

Yeah, that's really the only reason I tried. Like you, I'm a terrible artist. But I do want to learn about these things and become a better gazer, so I'll keep making the effort.

Archived