Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any London Sky Watchers

Hi all

Just wanted to know if there are many people who use their telescopes in Central London and what sort of experience they have? I was wondering how the light pollution might effect the view.

Thanks

Oliver

I'm in zone 3, just inside the North Circular. The LP is certainly bad but I still manage to get some good nights observing - the moon and planets look fine, and a lot of the open clusters and double stars can be seen well too. The main casualties of the LP are extended objects with relatively low surface brightness - galaxies and nebulae, only the brightest are visible and even then no real detail can be seen. I suspect globulars will be a similar story, though I mean to track down M3 at the next available opportunity. I try to go for targets reasonably high up as the LP haze obliterates anything less than about 20 degrees above the horizon.

I am looking for some good dark sky sites within an hour of London - one place that looks promising is Ivinghoe Beacon - does anyone know about this place, would the sky there be good or is Luton too close?

I live in West London, which is unfortunately a stones throw from Heathrow airport and next to brunel universities 24 hr outdoor sports academy with its gazillion watt floodlighting :p Even so I can see up to about a mag 4`ish. Going to the Isle of Whight in june so i will make good use of the dark skies and try and see the milky way :)

Brett

I live 10 minutes walk from Hampstead Heath, however, I have been told there is a lot of crime and have decided against any observation there.

Tried to get some 5 second exposures last night (Kentish Town) but too much LP.

Austin

• 9 months later...
need help with two star alignment,best way to go about it.do you have to alignment everytime or is it a one time set up????

Hi :)

Can I suggest you start a new thread on your new topic - this one is 9 months old !.

I'm sure you will get lots of help then :D

Welcome to SGL by the way :o

Archived