Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Improving my images

johnrt

Good news! I have made my bonus for the first quarter of 2010 so I will have some disposable income to burn in a few months, around £500.

So how should I spend it? What would be the best investment to improve my imaging?

My current setup is a 6" skywatcher reflector, 1000d (currently un modded but booked in with astronomiser when they get the baader filters), ST80 Guide scope & QHY5 guide cam. I have bought a full comercial license to process my images in PI.

I am now able to achieve 5 minute subs, without any problems and have done 10 minute but the images became overpowered by pink light pollution.

To give you an idea my most recent images are here.

M51 http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4493809827_700059af1e_b.jpg

M3 http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2721/4495202896_bb198ccd5c_b.jpg

I have thought about a couple of options.

1) Getting a 80mm ED refractor to replace the current scope.

2) Getting a cooled CCD to replace/use along side the DSLR, such as an Atik16 IC or QHY6 pro

3) Sticking with the current scope and camera, adding an EOS LP clip filter & coma corrector.

I have plenty of time to think about this as I won't even recieve the money for several months, so what are your thoughts?

I would probably go for option 3

BTW if you are going to use the camera only for astro imaging you could do a DIY filter removal and then get the CCD version of the EOS clip filter as this has a IR block.

Pete

Not up to performing the mod myself!

Any reasons you would say 3 above the other 2 options?

Archived