Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first Mars 28.03.2010

zedds

Hello all.

Just like to share with you all my first Mars from last week. It was taken with the 200 using a x3 barlow. 1234 frames stacked in Registax. I think i overdid it with the frames per second. 74 Second avi clip. Not sure where the lines came from.

Thanks for looking. Any advice welcome.

post-17420-133877437594_thumb.jpg

That's a very fine effort with Mars being as small as it is now & the unstable air that has get itself entrenched recently!

The horizontal lines are probably Newton's Rings - an interference effect. Some Barlows seem to be particularly prone to developing them. Are you using a (IR blocking) filter on the camera - this might have an effect too especially if it's a budget type.

Not at all Clayton. Looks better. How did you do it?

I used the levels control in "The GIMP" and moved the lefthand slider very slightly to the right (CS3 etc would be the same) The level control panel is under "colour" in GIMP

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Brian, I was using an astronomik IR block filter. Does this mean that i can expect these lines everytime i use it?

Thanks Clayton. All good learning.

Brian, I was using an astronomik IR block filter. Does this mean that i can expect these lines everytime i use it?

Astronomik are usually good filters! I use them & don't have issues like that ... but it might be worth trying a shot with it removed just to see if the lines go away.

Another think you might try is looking at the way the camera attaches to the scope - is it central or are you using a slightly sloppy fitting nosepiece with a thumb screw retainer? The rings may appear if a filter isn't quite normal to the optical axis.

Archived