NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nagler t4 12mm or T6 13mm

After i couldn't resist the temptation and bought a Nagler T6 26mm as my low mag ep i am now wondering whats best for the mid range on my 10" f5 dob (i like to keep it simple with 3 eps to cover the whole range).

I have a Radian 12mm on the way as well but consider to swap it either for a Nagler T4 12mm (better eyerelief) or a T6 13mm.

Any ideas how these 2 compare?

I've owned them both, and found them surprisingly different. The 12mm T4 is very like the larger T4s, and is a (relatively) large, very immersive eyepiece - I loved it, and if it wasn't for the 13mm Ethos it would still be in my collection.

The 13T6 has a very different feel to it, it's much smaller and didn't really give me the immersion factor. The eye relief was also a touch less than i'd have liked, although it's by no means short. It's good optically, but didn't quite 'click' for me. Very popular eyepiece though, so may just be my eyes!

The eyerelief would be definitely an important factor as my wife wears glasses.

Guess the Radian 12mm gives the 2 Naglers at least in this category the run. Like the bigger FOV though.

None of the options are bad here, the difficulty is that the eyepieces all have a very different 'feel' to them (in my experience, anyway) so the best option is very subjective - even more so than normal I guess it's a case of trying them out if you possibly can.

I think the 26mm is a type 5. I've got the 31mm and 20mm T5's and like them a lot so you should be very happy with it.

I've just moved from a 22mm T4 to a 20mm T5 and, as Ben says, they have a very different feel about them, despite both being Naglers and both delivering 82 degrees. The T4's are the most immersive Naglers - more so than the T6's although the latter is still a lovely little 13mm - I only sold mine to get a 13mm Ethos :D

The only "downside" to the T4's is that they have the "instajust" system to move the top of the eyepieces up and down to help find the right eye placement position. It's not the best feature as it's too loose (IMHO) but you can get used to it. The 12mm T4 is also (I think) one with the hybrid 2" / 1.25" barrel which again some don't like.

I have a feeling that, once you get used to Naglers, your Radian may seem a little "claustrophobic" :(

I really like my 12T4 it's a nice big eyepiece with lots of eye relief and with the intajust set just right the views are very immersive. I read about the intajust being too loose but on delivery of mine found it was not the case, perhaps Televue have stiffened it up a little. Downside, well pupil placement is pretty critical and if not placed quite right then kidney beaning occurs. Also the ep will not come to focus in 2" form in my 10" dobs focuser to do so I have to add a 2" extension tube. On the whole though I'm very happy with it.

I start to lean towards the 12mm T4, the eye relief is a big plus and everyone seems to agree that it is at least as good as the 13mm T6.

I was a bit worried a bout the size, but seeing my 26mm T5 on the 250px convinced my that the heavy dob should be able to take it without loosing balance.

I think I leave a little bit room to move up;)

Besides, the funds stretch only for a set of 3 Naglers (Seems i missed a few opportunities to lay my hand on a 12/13mm second hand on :( )

I think i keep an eye open for a 12mm (first choice) or 13mm Nagler and if i ever feel the need for an 16mm to fill the gap between these and the 26mm than i will consider the ethos.

Guess with the cost of an 13mm ethos being the same as the 13mm and the 16mm Nagler that would be a sensible conclusion.

Couldn't find a single sale of an 2nd hand ethos here or on astrobuysell archive so it seems that no one who ever bought one could part with them again. :(

Archived