Filters......need 1?!

Hey guys, had a fab night viewing last night, managed to see a lot more than expected, but the moon kinda put a hinge on the night making the sky so bright :(

I saw M44 and was amazed at it, really took me away, tried finding a few other DSO's and Galaxies with no luck really, ive done my research and have list upon list of beginner DSO's, Brightest DSO's etc etc i was just wandering how important filters are in the actual observation of DSO's etc....?

Hope someone can help

Thanks

Eddy

TBH, i'd wait till there's no lunar interference. Light pollution filters can help by negating specific wavelengths of man-made light, but i don't believe they can negate the reflected sunlight bouncing off of the Moon and lighting up our atmospheric aerosols.

If the transparency's average to poor when there's a lot of moonwash, it's best to stick to open clusters and double stars. Better yet, why not get a Moon filter for those nights when Luna's out strutting her stuff? :(

Well i do have a moon filter, only a cheapy that came with the scope, can i use that with any other object? i thought it was purely for looking at the moon?! lol

eddy

I think, with your MAK 127, if you are to get ONE filter, the 1.25" Baader (now enhanced) Neodymium type would potentially be the most versatile. It would reduce the [any] background, typical UK, "orange" skyglow around MAK-accessible DSO's and improve the planetary contrast. :D

Others filters have their specific purpose - And advocacy, but overall, the consensus seems that filters are not usually a FIRST priority. Andrew P has put up a new article on this very subject... :(

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/84192-primer-understanding-choosing-filters-visual-use.html

Ok, going off topic a little....but here is my list so far...

127 Mak

Moon filter

25mm

10mm

x2 Barlow

What would you reccomend next thing to get? I know it quite a personal thing, but more info is better than none!! lol

Eddy

Buy... or make a Dew shield for that rather exposed corrector plate! To keep the weight down, for the Synscan mount, I used lightweight black "Camper Mat" - [swiss?] rolled around the tube and (for greater permanency) joined up w/Duck tape. :(

Beyond that there are few major priorities. You can pick your needs / preferences as you go...

With a bright moon in the sky DSO's are a bit of a wash out really. Even the brighter ones won't be seen at their best and galaxies do a vanishing act. Double stars, planets and, of course the moon itself are the things to concentrate on under those conditions.

When the moon is not about there are some filters which help bring out contrast in nebulae, especialy planetary nebulae. Galaxies don't respond to filters - dark, transparent skies are the answer for them.

I found a Baader UHC-S filter works well in smaller aperture scopes - I managed to find the Veil Nebula with an 80mm scope using one.

PS: As our feline friend says, a dew shield / heated dew strip is a MUST for maks - dew can very quickly end your fun for a while otherwise.

Well i do have a moon filter, only a cheapy that came with the scope, can i use that with any other object? i thought it was purely for looking at the moon?! lol

eddy

Yes it's for looking at the Moon (i guess my hint for you to try lunar observing was a bit too subtle :D ).

Seriously though, give lunar observing a try. Luna's up there every month whether anyone likes it or not... might as well roll with the punches, as the saying goes. :(

Hi,

Well you wanted more info;-)

If you enjoy looking at the moon a pair of polarizing filters can give you more flexibility (Between 1% and 40% light transmission, good for Mars too!). Both the Baader filters already mentioned are good, skywatcher do similar, cheaper filters, but in astro you tend to get what you pay for (they are about half the price). A 1.6x barlow would add a bit more flexibility to your EP range if you can find one. I got one with my William Optics Binoviewers and find it very useful with other EPs.

If you are looking at EPs. Skywatcher do decent budget EPs, as do Antares (Rother Valley Optics sell them) and others. With your current EPs an 18mm (with 2xbarlow 9mm) would fill the gap cheaply and give you a 9mm for max mag when the seeing is bad. The barlowed 10mm is probably too powerful with our seeing in the UK. Alternatively a 15mm would also be good.

If you're looking to move up from the standard Plossl to something with a wider field of view I like the Baader Hyperions as a good mid priced EP (mid priced between Ok and what!!!! see Televue.). You can buy finetuning rings which work on all but the 24mm and give you 4 EPs in one. The 24mm is a great wide EP in a small scope. I use it in my 6se. Only problem is price. 95 quid each. The finetuning rings are another 10 each. But well worth the money if your budget allows.

If the planets are your thing a good orthoscopic at 7 or 8mm will give nice contrasty views in your sized scope, but have short eye relief. Baader do a nice range at about 75 quid each. They look very dinky sitting next to a Hyperion:-)

The William Optics SWAN range are another poss. from 20mm down they are around 60 quid with a 72 degree FOV. Their SPL range are good I have the 12.5mm nice contrast and 55 degree FOV.

All the Baader and WO stuff is available from FLO link at the top of the page.

Good maps are available for free try Triatlas.

JR's website on Deep Sky Astronomy

A few of things I find invaluable for observing are:

Binos 8x40 nice and light and very handy for the big picture.

A good chair. Ideally an easy to adjust ironing chair or proper astro chair. Scope n skies have the skywatcher chair (weight limit 90Kg) it is a decent chair, if expensive. Ironing chairs are a lot cheaper you can probably get one at your local lidl or other Dept. store. Not as easy to adjust in the dark with gloves on, but a lot cheaper.

A small folding table. makes things a lot easier.

An eyepatch allows your viewing eye to relax. And you become a Pirate Astronomer FTW. Get them at your local chemist.

An observing canopy aka my pirate hat. either a bit of thick black cloth or you can buy one specially. Telescope House do the Orion Lights Out Observing Canopy for 20 quid. Come on, you are already wearing an eye patch......

A red head light. small light torch on a bit of elastic. I use this one from Amazon

E02P Petzl e+LITE Headtorch: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure

needs to be dimmed a bit with red cellophane, but it is very comfortable and the angle can be adjusted.

With these three items your Pirate Astronomer look is complete, only one thing left: for when the north wind howls from the Cape and the seas get rough, matey.

Anti Vibration Pads

I wish I had bought these first. they really work and have made my viewing experience better any bump on your scope dies away very quickly as do focusing tremors. 47 Doubloons from FLO.

Oh and Rum, lots of Rum...

Archived