Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn 27 March

DarkerSky

Started with an EP view of Saturn and its moons in 16" x295 magnification.

True FOV 0.18 degrees

Seeing: 3

SaturnMar27WF.png

5 moons seen. The brightest is Titan out to the extreme right. This appeared slightly south of the ring plane and had an orangy hue.

Still on the right and closer in is Dione.

On the left, Rhea was seen just off the ring tip. Further out there was a very faint Enceladus, seen mostly with averted vision, and then Tethys.

I knew where Mimas should be, but could not see that one. Didn't get Hyperion either on this occasion.

Moved on to a sketch of the planet itself. The NEB was very noticeable. It appears quite broad and hinted of some structure which I might be able to pick up in better seeing and with more time. There did appear to be a darkening of the NEB on the eastern side. The NPR below it was darkish, but lacking at structure.

South of the ring was a thin SEB. SPR was fairly well shaded, perhaps not as dark as NPR. Equatorial zone was fairly bright.

Saturn27Mar.jpg

It was a lucky break with the weather Dweller. Had a 3 hour window before the next batch of cloud rolled in. Looks like we'll get some clearer nights again come Weds.

Thanks for the tip on seeing Hyperion Mick. I will give that a go next time :(

Archived