Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion Finetunning Rings

After reading about the Hyperion finetuning rings it seems to be a nice way to get with three ep's, 8mm and 17mm (plus a nonextendable 24mm), the whole range of ep's you might want to have.

Could Hyperion owners please share their experience if it makes a visual diffence to use the FT's or dedicated ep's for 6mm, 13mm.

I've done no comparisions with other eyepieces (other than orthos which is a real "apples vs. pears" question) but I can say the image does get worse when you use the rings.

ie the 8mm is as good with the rings at 6mm as it is without the rings at 8mm (if you see what I mean?)

Sorry I am a bit slow after an hour less sleep tonight :(

Do you mean the picture is just blown up when using the rings without real gain in finer details as you would hope to get from an dedicated ep?

No mate, just that the image in a 6mm Hyperion with the rings is as good the image in a 8mm Hyperion. ie. as good as a dedicated 6mm Hyperion would be if they made them!!

Sorry about that last post, I knew it was clumsily worded when I wrote it!!:(

Hi,

I was thinking similar to u, but decide to go 24mm, 21mm and 13mm.

I have the 24mm and 13mm with finetuning rings and have just ordered the 21mm. I think they are great eps. I am using them in a 6se and CPC 925. I particularly like the 24mm in the 6se for its nice wide FOV. I think it is the best wide EP to buy for small slow scope.

The 13mm compares very well with the Wilson Optics SPL 12.5mm for planetary, and with the rings is better than the standard 9 mm Celestron Plossl and SW 9mm Wide I have. If you have previously been using standard plossl EPs the Baaders are a good step up and IMHO well worth the money.

The one thing to bear in mind is both my scopes are f/10 and they tend to be forgiving of EPs, also with my focal lengths the 8,5 and 3.5 would be too powerful so I can't comment on their performance, others have . I have never used them in a faster scope so YMMV.

Thanks, that sound encouraging.

Rob, good point. I made up my mind to order a Skyliner 200p in the next days. The scope has f/5.9.

Would be interesting to know if someone used the Hyperions on a similar fast scope.

I am considering the rings to move the 5mm to something else but I dont know if I am throwing good money after bad on that one.

Having had a fiddle with them on a shop counter I'm not sure I'd be trying to mess with them in a dark field with cold and numb hands.

Archived