Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pocket scopes

The 90mm Mks by Skywatcher are excellent wee scopes. They are indeed lightweight, well-made and portable, yet offer good through-the-eyepiece experiences too. Not exactly widefield scopes, but very good for quick looks and holiday travel.

Ok, that's the normal blurb out of the way. I also spent a winter years ago studying Jupiter through a 90mm Mak on a driven mount and the detail it showed was amazing. The spots, festoons and of course transits were all very clear and I still remember them now. So as well as being a portable "mini-scope" they are also capable of very rewarding planetary observation.

And they're cheap.

Ant

That's what I'm thinking.

Of those I've (virtually) looked at thus far, Celestron C90, Skymax 90 and "Seben comet" 1200-90, I'm drawn toward the Skymax from FLO. I'm sure that they are all equal scope wise, but with the decent looking tripod the FLO deal looks best.

Forget the Seben, or if you do buy one, don't expect too much of it. Conversely, the Skymak will surprise you with what it's capable of. I prefer the Skymax to the Celestron as the Celestron coms with a 45 degree diagonal - not the best for astronomy, and I think the focuser on the Skymax model is better too. Budget for a dewshield, regardless of which one you go for.

Ant

Archived