SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

This Weeks Moon and Moon Movie

AztecastroMcJ

heres few pics from this week using webcam and 127mm Mak

(date and time and details on pic names)

also made my 1st Moon Movie (windows movie maker)

and uploaded it on to Utube last night

was easier than i thought

didn't edit or enhance any avi's as u can prob tell

not bad for 1st attempt maybe try this again in future

avi's used in Moon movie are from September last year

check out moon movie here

Mak on the Moon :)

any comments welcome

James

post-16858-133877436184_thumb.jpg

post-16858-133877436188_thumb.jpg

post-16858-133877436191_thumb.jpg

post-16858-133877436194_thumb.jpg

nothing wrong with your pics james, they are fantastic, if i had to choose i would say the last pic is stunning.

many thx for great compliment

i agree that last pic is best of lot also

but it could have been bit better as moon very low at time

and conditions were not at best

heres a wider shot of same area

which i think makes better pic

cheers James

post-16858-133877436354_thumb.jpg

James,

Really enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing. Was the panning lunar drift or did you use directional keys on your Synscan GOTO? Whilst I'm delighted with the low cost and high performance of my similar mount (Merlin Synscan), it proves hard to get absolutely perfect tracking (i.e. to allow above 1,000 AVIs). I wonder how you find your mount?

I also like the tonality of your last pic, really brings out the lunar surface in my eyes.

Nick

James,

Really enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing. Was the panning lunar drift or did you use directional keys on your Synscan GOTO? Whilst I'm delighted with the low cost and high performance of my similar mount (Merlin Synscan), it proves hard to get absolutely perfect tracking (i.e. to allow above 1,000 AVIs). I wonder how you find your mount?

I also like the tonality of your last pic, really brings out the lunar surface in my eyes.

Nick

thx Nick

panning was lunar drift which is quite more noticeable at start of video,

some of later video like copernicus at end drift isn't really there (tho this was a 30 sec avi)

normally mount is ok at f/23.6 for around 1000 frames before drift is problem, (can take a while sometimes for mount to settle in ideal position)

noticed windy nights a big problem

and the one fork mount doesn't help here

thx for comments

hope u understand above

cheers James

Hiya James,

Yes, makes perfect sense and is what I usually notice: after finding area of moon I wish to image, I have to wait for half a minute or so for the mount (and drift) to settle down. At f/17.7 (using Barlow at 1.5x) I can normally get 1,000 AVI run without too much hassle but, find f/23.6 more of a challenge. Last Friday, I actually set my Synscan manual rate at 2 and periodically punched a directional keypad to keep the lunar feature on the CCD. I was surprised how well Registax was able to keep track, so might try this some more in the future.

Whilst I would love a decent mount (and bigger scope) I think there is a lot more I can do with the trusty old Skymax 127 and the AZ Synscan GOTO. Plus, it really is a grab-and-go combo (and as they live on the top floor of my back-to-back, they need to be)!

Cheers,

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Archived