Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Novice's Filter choice

I'm looking for filters for my for a Helios 120mm refractor. I'm looking for LP filters and fringe-killer type filters for general planetary and DSO visual work. I'm hoping to upgrade the scope in the not-too-distant future, so I looking for filters I can use on other scopes.

I've had a look on FLO's site, and picked out the Baader semi-apo filter (looks better than their fringe killer), and either:-

1) Baader neodymium

2) Baader contrast booster or

3) Baader UHC-S for the LP.

Would like opinions on which LP filter would be best for my scope, and any thoughts on the semi-apo filter. Anyone have any better choices for a total under £150?

Any feedback would be gratefully recieved...:)

I use an F/8 6" achro and, after much research, I've decided against a minus violet / fringe killer type filter. All the ones I've researched seem to add a yellow tint to the image. I think I can live with the chromatic abberation which, personally, I don't find too intrusive. If your scope is the F/5 version then you might have a more pressing need for one.

Of the 3 filters you list, the Baader UHC-S is likely to be the most effective I feel for enhancing the contrast in nebulae. You could use an OIII filter which works wonders on planetary nebulae, especially if you are going to upgrade the scope in due course (presumably to a larger aperture ?). Other UHC filters which work well are the Orion Ultrablock and the Lumicon UHC. If you use them now or think you will use 2" eyepieces in the future then go for a 2" filter now.

Archived