Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My first widefield using camera only (Orion)

This was just a test as my camera lens does not lend itself to really wild field. It was 30 x 5 sec exposures at ISO800 on an unmodded Cannon 1000D, the lens the standard EFS 18-55mm. No darks, flats and stacked in DSS.

I just wanted comments as to how I can improve my technique before I go out and buy a better lens and start using the telescope for tracking. I also have an adapter (T-ring and extender) to mount the camera on to the telescope but I do want to be able to do widefield also.

Thanks for looking and would appreciate feedback good or bad

post-17259-133877435203_thumb.jpg

For a stack of 5sec exposures you've done well!

Something amiss with the DSS - there appears to be a series of double stars over on the LHS..... ( Maybe the zoom lens slightly moved??)

Very promising start...

Thanks for the comments and the blu-tack tip, must admit I did not notice the double stars so thanks for pointing it out.

At this time of year we have incredible clear skies in the Middle East which helps and most of the time a lot less light pollution than many places.

star trails usually come in at around 20 seconds, depending on how much zooming you do on the post image.

I have found that unless your blowing the image up on a large scale then even a 30sec image will show minimal trailing.

aim for perhaps 5 x 15secs or 5 x 20secs.

give 30secs a go and see what the results are like.

your ISO level is okay, your using a Canon so maybe it could go upto ISO1000 without having too much noise, remember, the higher your ISO level the less time you need to expose for...but the more noise you will encounter.

if i were doing it then i'd settle for 20secs at ISO800 or ISO1000...just compare the results and see whats best.

Archived