NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Thinking about Imaging

Depends mate, If you want to use a digital camera that you already own (a little point and shoot afair) you'll need a digiscoping bracket.

(I have one that I don't use and can sell it cheap :) )

But if you want to shell out a bit more you'll need an SLR camera (Digital is better than film and more cost effective) . You'll then need an adapter for whatever brand of camera you decide to go for.

Or you can use a webcam with an adapter which will be good for planets and lunar...or spend more and get one that can do DSO'S

Then there's a tracking mount and be able to polar align so as to reduce star trails when taking longer exposure photo's.

It's all about how you much you want to spend really and it's a never ending money pit.

I got all my stuff for around about £400 that's including scope,mount, and DSLR but none of it was new and I really could do with better tracking motors or another mount and my total cost was kept down as I got a Nikon d60 for £80 which is a bargain never to be repeated!

Before laying out any cash on kit get yourself a copy of Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards (Steppenwolf on this very forum). :)

It takes you from the beginning and will guide you through everything. Including choosing the right kit, so you'll avoid expensive mistakes buying the wrong stuff.

Highly recommended and easy to read.

In addition to the good advice above have a think about what kind targets you want to focus on as this will determine what kit you buy. You can almost think of it in four stages:

1. Planets (SCT or long FL refractor)

2. Galaxies & Small DSO's (Newt & medium FL refractor)

3. Large DSO's & Widefield (Short FL refractor)

4. Constellations & Widefield (DSLR lenses)

You wont be tied down to exactly these type of objects but it gives you a rough idea of each type with an average scope and an average sized CCD.

To be honest I would start at 3 or 4 and see how you get on as the higher up you go the more difficult and expensive it can be...

Archived