Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon, Mars and finally SATURN (well not quite)

Kerrp30

Decided to take advantage of the clear skies last night although the seeing conditions were not that great. I knew Saturn was above the horizon becasue stellarium said it was.

Got to try out my homemade dew shield, 1.5 hours and no dew, well pleased, all for a fiver, something in this hobby that was cheap.

Anyway back to setting up, set the cpc800 up on its tripod and setup the first star for alignment. Locked on no problem slewed to my next target, and when i focused imagine my delight/disappointment it was Saturn, I would come back to this one after alignment was finished. Finally got my third alignment star and we were all set to go.

Back to saturn with a 40mm EP, nice enough view, defo saturn with a yellowish tinge and they rings in full view. Decided to move to the 17mm EP and things just got bigger could see the rings were seperate, before finishing i put in a x2 barlow. I really enjoyed seeing saturn using my eyes and not a picture or pc generated image.

Hopefully get some more high power EP's to make this even more interesting.

The reason I was dissapointed was I had set my self to align then slew on Saturn, instead it was my second alignment star. I had built myself to have Saturn as some grand entrance into my field of view. Nonetheless I still got to view it and spend at least half an hour trying to make things out.

Moved onto Mars but not much to see as it aint a great time to be viewing it.

Decided to look at the moon and actually try and see some features, the trouble I have with the moon is my bloomin eyes, I think it is the brightness that makes them water and as I am looking downwards then the fluid pools at the base of the round eyeball, I have to do a lot of blinking. Anyway need a filter to sort this out.

So on the moon then what did I see had a look along the terminator(dark to light line I think) and managed to see some nice features on the craters, also saw peaks inside a crater, which almost looked like a double splat with its very close neighbour. Used all my EPs and barlows to get closer views but I think that a filter would really help my viewing as it looks like it is glowing.

Goint to try and research what i saw on the moon any good websites for this?

One query I have the stock celestron EP 40mm and it gives me very similar views to the baader hyperion in terms of sharpness. May be the star diagonal evening things up.

Very difficult to judge after only using one scope:):)

Paul

Good report Paul, and a good look at Saturn.

Whilst you are waiting to get a moon filter, have you considered an aperture mask? Basically a cover for the end of your scope with a round hole (I'm sure a square hole would work too) in it, offset to avoid a secondary mirror (if using a reflector scope). This will reduce the amount of light coming into your scope and give an altogther more comfortable experience.

Archived