scope goes slow

I have a meade LX90 10" which i decided to put on a pier and wedge. When the scope is tracking an object and it seems to strain at the top. So i tried to move it at a higher speed manually and it does the same. It works fine off the wedge and the power is fully charged. Is this a weight/balance issue?

Cheers for any help.

Hello Sinbad40. Your problem could be balance related, fairly easy to check that. Another possibility is that now the weight of the tube/fork assembly is now at an angle rather than vertical, the clearance between the worm and wormwheel may have been taken up causing the mesh to run tighter. My experience with Meade drives is that they tend to have tight spots at various rotational positions.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I have not replied. It looks like a weight issue. I dont have a balance system yet, so i put the camera mount on the front with a small weight, seems to be a lot better.

Need to make a slide version now. :(

Archived