Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion OAG (4/5 Stars)

Below is my review to amazon.com, I couldn't find this product in the the UK (wide-screen sold out). So I got a friend in the US to get it for me.

--------------

I have tried using a guide scope to guide but the additional weight and the extra set-up time made it impractical for me, so I decided to get an OAG. I have read reviews saying that Orion was the best for it price so I purchased it.

The set-up of this can take a long time, as the instructions really do not help you align your DSLR camera to your scope. I have managed to configure it today.

My set-up is a Canon 1000D, and the scope is an Orion 80ED. To get the guide cam (QHY5) to be in focus with camera I used the following set-up:

Existing 1.25 focuser on the cope with OAG fitted onto it. I then used the T-Ring to screw directly onto the OAg with no extension tubes. For my camera I used both the 7mm (small) and 18mm (medium, the large is definitely 30mm) (I think) total extension 25mm. Now camera and guide cam are in same focus. I had to use that combo because when I received the OAG both extension tubes were so tight that I couldn't separate them and had to sue them in combo. And it is for this reason I give it 4 stars and not 5 because of how it was delivered.

I have not conducted any guiding yet, and my review is purely from a set-up stand point.

P.S. I set-up the OAG in daytime be pointing my scope at a chimney stack quite far away.

I got it cheaper from the states though postage to the UK is where it became more expensive. But having walked past the SCS stand at Astrofest and didn't even get asked if I was intersted in anything plus getting meanish looks form the staff did not encourage me to shop from there.

There is a lot to be said about service with a smile. Flo, Sheerwood have provided me with good service and I have gone back to them to shop for more!

Archived