NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M13 Eq3-2 Guided Drainpipe

jnp

I previoulsy abandoned a DIY project to control the stepper motors on my old EQ3-2 from my laptop because the tracking results were poor. I gave up and purchased a proper EQ3 handset.

Anyway I was curious and had a play with incorporating guiding into the DIY project and was pleasantly surprised when I accidentally took an 854 second exposure. Maybe I was lucky, but even the DEC axis behaved itself. :)

Below are some early guided images. The next step is to apply the EQMod to the EQ3 handset to see which solution is best.

The current setup is

• guidescope - based on a 60mm Lidl bino lens
  • guide camera - QHY5 (guiding is controlled by PHD)
  • imaging scope - my old DIY drainpipe with 90mm Surplus Shed F10 lens

Applogies for the strange 'Maltese Cross' effect on bright stars, I still have no idea what causes that. ;)

Why on earth are you mucking about with Eq3/drainpipes when you already have a C8N + Hq5 + Synscan I hear you say? Well that kit is 60 miles away at the moment.:D Mind you, I didn't half miss the GOTO (as I couldn't find M101 without it :)).

thanks for looking

John

post-15143-133877434229_thumb.jpg

post-15143-133877434236_thumb.jpg

post-15143-133877434244_thumb.jpg

Archived