Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Monday 14th March 2010

pbyrne

Hi all

Clear skies got me out and I managed to get a couple of sketches.

I hope you like them.

NGC 2169

4436466170_634e5a60a8_b.jpg

The 37 cluster, but only from Australia:D. This is a bright cluster in Orion that is interesting just for the arrangement of the stars.

NGC 2360

4435693163_a5609ef04f_b.jpg

A really nice cluster in Canis Major, it has plenty of members that are concentrated in an elongated shape.

NGC 2903

4435691961_b1f00b3ec0_b.jpg

One of my favourite galaxies, this resides in Leo, not too difficult to find just off the nose of the lion. It had a prominent core with the surrounding nebulosity of the spiral arms.

Thanks for taking the time to view.

Super sketches Paul. Those OC's are a treat to look at. I've not seen either of them before - NGC 2360 reminds me of an outline of a dragonfly in flight!

NGC 2903 is a beautiful galaxy. I sketched it a few weeks ago. Did you pick up on the brighter notch of material in the halo to the north of the core? I could make it out with averted vision in my 16". It was quite amazing ;)

Thanks Seb.

I didn't notice the material you mentioned, it was observed from the back garden, and all associated streetlights:(. The next time I'm under dark skies I'll look out for it. Maybe that four inches of aperture will make all the difference.:)

Nice description of NGC 2360, and I can see the dragonfly shape, now that it's been pointed out to me. Perhaps you can register the name, The Dragonfly Cluster has a nice ring to it.;)

Archived