Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSO's for Skymax 127

Steve1976

Hi guys

I'm another newbie with a MAK 127. So far I've been viewing the moon, mars, saturn, orion nebulae and the pleiades and have been very pleased with all.

I'm just wondering how this scope will perform on DSO's generally? I know it's only a small 5 incher so I don't have very high expectations but it would be great to be able to see the andromeda galaxy and some of the smaller galaxies, glob clusters, nebulae etc. What can I expect to see? My main observing site will be quite rural with pretty good access to the whole sky. I'd love to go out and try it out for myself but the weathers gone rubbish again (

Also, what accessories would you recommend to make DSO observing more possible and worthwhile?

Thanks

You'll have a great time just make sure you put a low power eyepiece in. As for objects, try the messier list (all the things prefixed M) like m35 a large, beautiful cluster in Gemini.

As for accessories: warm clothing, a hoodie to keep your face warm and cut out stray light, a red torch, a copy of pocket sky atlas (highly recommended and necessary to find DSO, variables and double stars) pencils and paper to make sketches, insulated camping mug for a hot brew and a comfortable chair.

I think that should get you going - and maybe you have these items already. I'll leave the eyepiece upgrade debate for later but the number of debates in the equipment section will guide you.

Clear skies

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

hi dude , i too have a 127 skymax , we have our own community page on here check us out !! the skymax is good for dso`s ..find a dark spot to observe from .. last thursday i saw M3, M13, M42, M44, M51, M67, M81/82 plus others i forget !! cheers

Archived