Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Treehouse Observatory

wainscottbl

I have a wonderful view of the knobs (mountain like hills) from my house, which sits on large hill. Leading up to the knobs is rolling, pastoral countryside. And I am sure from the trees things look even better. One of my activities of leisure in the summer has been to go out under the trees in my shaded back yard and read. So I was thinking of building a scholar's treehouse today. It would offer a lovely view of the hills as I enjoyed my books. I was thinking Alexander Pope had a grotto, but I cannot do all that, so I want to build a treehouse. And I thought with such altitude, already on the hill and now in a tree, I might as well have a sort of observatory with a telescope and all. It would be very basic, but still quite something for a homemade device.I am going to try and arrange is so that I can look out every way, though I think I may only be able to manage a look to the south, but I just thought I came up with quite a splendid idea. :headbang::hello2::p:hello2:

I was recntly thinking of something similar. When I finally sell the farm, to buy some woodland, on a hill, and build a treetop obsy. But then I considered the wind in the winter and the beasties in the summer, and thought perhaps it might not be so practicable.

... I considered the wind in the winter and the beasties in the summer, and thought perhaps it might not be so practicable.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

A tree top observatory is going to be pretty unstable at times. If you want to do low powered visual observing it might work, but it sounds as though it would be highly unsuitable for any high magnification work or for imaging.

Saying that, it suppose it could be okay for lunar and planetary webcam imaging in very still conditions and provided that you don't move around during image capture.

I didn't mean to build it in an actual treetop, but build a "Mr. Ranger" style goon tower, at tree top height. Better, I think, to buy a place with a perfect view and zero LP, where I can build my dream obsy. A nice mountain side somewhere......... Polomar??

Archived