Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus 04/03/10

Having checked HA for when and where I might see Venus, I made a plan to take the 114mm newt to the top of the summer grazing field, which gives an excellent view westward, down the valley. I set up around 17:20 and waited for the sun to fully set. Then, using the 40mm EP, started panning for Venus. It didn't take too long to find the bright orb and once found I swapped EPs for a 12mm, then a 4mm, but with the 114 newt, 4 mm just doesn't get it clear enough, so back up to 10mm.

Venus seems to be presenting a good disc, which would suggest it is in opposition at present. I kept watching as the sky darkened and Venus slowly dropped toward the horizon, eventually I was able to make her out with naked eye, the view was very similar to the view I got of Mercury last month at work.

Once Sirius became visible and a few more stars too, I packed up and returned to the hoose where I started to prepare the 10" SNT for an evenings viewing. Venus, by then, was too low for me to use the 10", but I may try again tomorrow evening from a west facing area I have yet to try but whaich is near enough to the house to enable me to carry the BIG scope to.

Sorry to be pedantic, Venus can never be at opposition [sun-earth-venus] as its orbit is inside the earth's. It is a full [small] disc when at superior conjunction [venus-sun-earth] a half disc when at maximum elongation [v/s/e form right angle triangle with the sun at the right angle] and very thin crescent ['new'] when at inferior conjunction [sun-venus-earth] which is also when a transit can occur.

Excellent on seeing it just now - not at its easiest. Still waiting for my first good telescope view of it - and can't wait for April 8 and thereabouts for Mercury.

Archived