Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

mars 1/3/10

essex sky

at last it was a clear last night.

observed mars with my c8 at 200 and 250x.

started around 2100 when the seeing was rather poor, could have been the scope cooling as it had been a mild day

but by 2200 at had improved markedly.

the npc is still the most prominent feature but now shrinking. as at this time the quiet

face was turned towards me.

but using a yellow filter, subtle dark shadings were still visible in the southern hemisphere in the mare sirenum area.

also noted on the western limb 'the left edge of the planet as seen through the scope' there appeared to be a covering of bright white mist or cloud this was well seen with a light blue filter appearing almost as bright as the npc.

here's hoping for more of the same soon:)

clear skies

lance

hi bizibilder

yes the seeing was poor here in essex early in the evening

at that time only the npc was visible and i was having to re,focus

the scope every few minutes usually a sign that the scope has not cooled to ambient temp. later on things did improve a lot.

which enabled more subtle detail to show through

sirius was very steady and not twinkling through binoculars

a sure sign of good seeing.:)

Good stuff Lance. You're right about the NPC. It really is just a slither now compared to how it was a couple of months ago. I was out roughly the same time as you last night with Mars. There were 2 very bright features I noted other than the NPC.

One was up in the Chyrse region - almost a band like brightness that extended off the eastern limb immediately to the north of Aurorae Sinus.

There was a distinct lighter area on the western edge of Mare Acidalium too, just south of the NPC collar. I've been out again tonight and this brightness has gone now, so must have been cloud or mist or some other transient feature :)

I never fail to get excited when I see Martian clouds. Funny really. Don't get half as excited about Earth clouds :(

Archived