TAL1 and cameras

Hi All, just starting out having obtained a second hand TAL1. Quite a sturdy bit of kit and it came with all of the original accessories. My question relates to the supplied camera mount; I just cannot see how to mount any sort of camera that will line up with the lens. The manual is extremely vague about this and trawling the net I can't find any mention of the facility. I have been hoping to find a picture of a TAL1 with a camera fitted to the mount but no joy. I understand this telescope has sold well in the UK over the years so I'm hoping one of you will be able to put me out of my misery :-) Many thanks, Trev

I think by this that you mean the threaded ring adapter. This was intended to attach an old style M42 threaded SLR at prime focus (IE in place of the eyepiece).

I don't know of any digital cameras which have this thread on them.

There are many different ways to couple a camera to the scope but You'll have to let us know which one you have first.

hope this helps a bit

I think by this that you mean the threaded ring adapter. This was intended to attach an old style M42 threaded SLR at prime focus (IE in place of the eyepiece).

I don't know of any digital cameras which have this thread on them.

There are many different ways to couple a camera to the scope but You'll have to let us know which one you have first.

hope this helps a bit

Thanks for the reply but I don't think we are talking about the same beast. The camera adaptor that comes with the TAL1 is a rectangular heavy gauge aluminium bracket lined with felt on the camera side. It has a standard camera thread captive bolt to hold the camera to the plate and a large thread with lock nut to attach the bracket to the telescope mount. It appears to fit on the declination axis but it does not appear that any camera will be capable of 'seeing' the eyepiece. I seem to be missing something obvious but can't think what it might be.

Edited to add: I have several cameras which I could use ranging from a Sony A100 DSLR to a Panasonic Lumix TZ7 which is my preferred option.

I had one of these many years ago, indeed it is for piggybacking.

The bracket does not allow imaging through the eyepiece.

The camera sits on the end of the bracket with your normal DSLR and lens attached and you guide the scope with the slow motion controls while the shutter is open on bulb.

With that heavy pillar tripod it comes with you should get some good images.

Regards

Matt

I had one of these many years ago, indeed it is for piggybacking.

The bracket does not allow imaging through the eyepiece.

The camera sits on the end of the bracket with your normal DSLR and lens attached and you guide the scope with the slow motion controls while the shutter is open on bulb.

With that heavy pillar tripod it comes with you should get some good images.

Regards

Matt

Aah! Many thanks for that Matt (and also Peter). I somehow expected the camera would need to catch the view through the eyepiece but I now realise how it is used. I'm on a steep learning curve guys so I'm very grateful for the steer.

Thanks again, Trev

Archived