Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars - 26 Feb 2010

DarkerSky

Poor seeing and a gusty wind buffeting the scope made Mars extra challenging last night. Still, I managed to get some detail off its bland side.

Scope: 8.5" Newtonian at Mag x240

Filters: Red and Yellow

Seeing: 3 to 4

21.30 UT to 22.15 UT

CM approx 120 degrees

MarsFeb260001.png

The NPC stood out well, as did the dark collar around it. The most striking thing last night were the brighter areas. On the east of the disc Tharsis was really noticeable as a large bright area. There was also a smaller bright area on the northeast limb. On the western limb there was some brightness too, and a lighter patch of material hanging over the south polar area - so 4 distinct areas of brightness in total.

The darkest marking on the disc itself was a relatively undefined area rotating off the disc in the southeast, this being Solis Lacus. A fine protrusion extended off its southerly extent back onto the disc. The preceeding edge of Mare Sirenium was only faintly seen in the southwest.

Very difficult to pull out any real detail on the central part of the disc. In moments of good seeing there seemed to be a general light shading that appeared almost as a rough 'X' shape across the whole disc. Arcadia was defined as a slightly darker area in the northeast quadrant.

Yes, that wind made it difficult. I knew it would be a waste of time wheeling my 16" out.

The other thing I forgot to mention is the phase was noticeable again. 97% illumination I think. Tried to capture the essence of that in the sketch

Archived