Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I think I've broken my collimator!

Hi,

I just dropped my laser collimator onto a hard concrete floor, and I think I've done a fair bit of damage.

When you project the red dot onto a wall, it's not now a nice round circle, but an oval blob as this rather attractive photo shows.

Have I irretreivably damaged it? It still seems to work for barlow collimation, so maybe I could just use it for that. Or should I just chuck it in the bin? Any ideas? Can't really afford to buy a new one, or get it fixed professionally.

Regards,

Luke

post-16549-133877428869_thumb.jpg

What make is it? Some just have a laser pointer inside that you may be able to replace.

Are the diffraction rings part of the effect of the damage or an artifact of the photo? Was it definitely circular before? A lot of the diode lasers used in collimators do produce oval dots.

Are the diffraction rings part of the effect of the damage or an artifact of the photo? Was it definitely circular before? A lot of the diode lasers used in collimators do produce oval dots.

The diffraction rings are really there, and not an artifact. I've never really looked closely at it before I dropped it, so I don't know if there should diffraction rings or not. I assume the dot should be circular. Can ayone else advise?

Not sure what make it is as there aren't any labels. Possibly a Skywatcher.

I'll probably make do, as barlow collimation with it still seems to be effective.

Regards,

Luke

Is it possible for it to be dismantled and to take a closer look at the laser diode. It looks like the lens at the end might be damaged or its components knocked out of alignment in the diode itself. I have several diode`s knocking about and if it can be done PM me with the dimensions I may well have something !!!

Brett

Archived