NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Working out DIY pier height?

pritc

Hi to all:D

I need help trying to work out and finalize the height of my DIY 160mm drain pipe pier for my obs build:(

I have no major viewing obstructions from SE round to NE with only E viewing blocked by our house.

I would hate to build my pier to low only to then find out I have restricted viewing with lower sky objects just out of my field of view.:)

I have a lot of numbers going around my head and figures written down (pier adaptor height/parked scope height/Obs wall height) and my brain is turning to mush:icon_scratch:

Does anyone know of a calculaton or have past experience to help me to determine the height of pier required against wall height?

Or is it just a case of having the scope parked as high as possible,an inch or two under the wall height so that the roll of roof does not clash with it?

Thanks in advance

Wayne

Hi Pritc

When I did my original observatory designs I drew a scale drawing. This allowed me to try out various pier heights. For each I drew the minimum angle that the scope could achieve. Eventually I found the ideal for my own conditions. I also allowed for the neighbours house lights etc and less favourable directions of view.

The one thing that nearly caught me out was that the sort of diagram I drew was for the centre line of the optical system - you have to remember to add half the tube diameter to the final height so the WHOLE scope can see "over the wall"!!!

Can you not set up the gear on a tripod Wayne and measure it from that? Thats how I did my Pier height. ALthough, when 'parked' the front of my 80ed is only just reachable from the ground to fit the cover.

I never thought of that Gary:icon_salut:

Fantastic if it is that simple.

I will give it a try this weekend (weather permitting)

I will have to use a few bricks to raise the tripod because I think it will be to low at its present height:rolleyes:

Wayne

Archived