Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC2146 in 75 seconds

NickH

NOt at all (and correction it was FTN) (been making a few bookings recently)

Happy for what was basically 3 images at 75s each, but would love way more time on this to get shots like this one

http://www.astrographica.com/index.php?q=gallery&g2_itemId=1663

and...

Bit of info

NGC 2146 is a relatively nearby peculiar Barred Spiral Galaxy in the Constellation of Camelopardalis. It is a nearly edge-on disturbed starburst galaxy (i.e. enhanced star-forming activity). It has a peculiar large nuclear bulge with many irregular absorption markings and two main smooth spiral arms, one with a dark lane. The extremely broad spiral arms appear asymmetric, and probably lie in different planes. Thus NGC 2146 could have a very warped disk, twisted through an angle of about 45 degrees.

This galaxy is associated with radio source 4C 78.06 and several infrared sources, plus its optical spectrum shows bright hydrogen alpha lines. Hutchings et al. (1990) suggested that NGC 2146 is in the final stages of a collision and merger and found no evidence of an active nucleus. It may be interacting with NGC 2146A which lies 18 arc minutes away.

Just looked at the size compared with the FOV of my TMB/16HR combination....a very nice FOV with a good surrounding starfield.

Checked it against the 10 inch RC that I have on order....perfect.

Might take more than 75 seconds though!

Great target for many of us....bet the Ha looks good.

Rob

Aim for about 200+ mins on that RC and you'll be cooking with gas..

It's a lovely object...may have a go myself with the 105 too..

It's okay for 75 seconds...but a bit soft and fuzzy...

Time booking, you apply as an astronomical society or educational establishment..

Archived