NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

star trails

hi everyone

im new to all of this so i hope i dont sound too silly!

i have a sony a350. im trying playing with star trails but the pictures come out really bright orange?

where i live which is right out in the sticks, there isnt any light polution so i cant work out whats happening. i've turned the iso right down to iso100 but still no change. as the moon is going through a phase right now would that be doing it?

thanks

Jimmy:icon_salut:

I had a similar problem - 1 hour exposure, ISO100, f/2.8. I fixed a lot of the problem in Lightroom by backing down the exposure a little and increasing the blacks (being aggresive with the curve control also helped).

I put the glow down to light polution - as it was orange and while my sky isn't too bad, there are a couple of localish lights.

Have you tried using the free startrails app? With that you take continuous e.g. 30s exposures for the length of time you are after (e.g. 1 hour) and when the images are fed into the application they are stacked to reveal the star trails. If there is a lot of light pollution you can reduce the 30s or increase it if little light pollution. Just google "startrails" to find the app.

Dave

I agree with Dave. That's what I use. You need to shoot in jpg for the startrails app though. Set the camera to jpg, 30s, ISO800, f/3.5 at 18mm on the kit lens. Continuous shooting, and lock the shutter remote. An hour or two later, unlock the shutter remote.

Archived