Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Power Supply

Just ordered my scope (hurrah!) Skywatcher EvoStar 150 on and EQ6 Pro Synscan from FLO. (slightly overcooked my original budget but all in a good cause).

Now to the question of power - I need to get a powertank and Maplins is due for a visit later this week, so I figured I'd pick one up there.

Just so I can be prepared could anyone recomend me a 12v 17amp supply that I should look at (if you can send me a link that'd be a bonus).

I'm assuming this are the same things that can jump start cars?

(Please be aware that I often confuse electricity with witchcraft!!)

If I was buying a supply now, I'd look at a deep-cycle leisure battery of more than 80Ah. They can be had in some places for close to £60, plus another £25 or so for a mains charger. They are a lot heavier than the Maplin unit but will last you the night and they are designed to supply moderate amounts of current for long periods of time.

Can you not run a mains supply (of course through a RCD) to your observation area and use the mains supply transformer that comes with the mount? It saves a lot of hassle, BTW I have 2 of these "power tanks" at 17AH and after a number drains they are pretty knackered so I would pay the extra and go for a leisure battery it is designed for this task.

Just looking at this now - I think the leisure battery pack is the way to go, but I'll need to research that a little longer.

As far as I know the mount doesn't come with a PSU, so I will probably grab a suitable one in the short term - I have an external socket for lawnmowing purposes, which should be fine (initially I'm not going to be undertaking particularly long session).

Now the power supply needs to be 12v DC 2 Amp. Would I be correct in the assumption that a 12v PSU with a higher rated amp rating (say 3amp) would be OK? (I'm assuming that the amp rating refers to the load, so a psu rated for a higer load would have more headroom).

Apologies if this is a bit waffley - I'm happy to use electricity, but have no understanding how it actually works

Paul

Correct, I would go for a supply rated at double the load that you plan to put on it.

Yup, I'll second that. A device will only 'draw' what it needs so its best to get a PSU rated a bit higher than the device is predicted to draw.

Gary

Archived