NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Refractor for Double Stars

Hi everyone I am thinking of buying a Refractor for double star viewing I was thinking about either the Meade 127 series 5000 apo or the Skywatcher equinox 120 apo. the skywatcher has Fpl 53 glass the meade has Fcdi glass which i am told is not as good, but the meade is a triplet whereas the skywatcher is a doublet. the price is not much different. If anyone has these scopes what do you think of them or any other scopes in the same range, thanks everyone.

Double star observing is the realm of long focal length refractors, in my opinion.

Mine too. If you're working at f/15 - f/20 the glass type really isn't of much consequence.

If you can't put up with a tube that long, try a Maksutov-Cassegrain. Really good ones (Intes Micro) are not far short of "ideal" and will very, very nearly equal the performance of a short/medium focus apochromatic refractor the same aperture but costing 10x as much.

If really strapped for money - a long focus Newtonian ....

Both those scopes will give wonderful double star observations.

The Meade being a triplet will take longer to cool down, my triplet APO scopes take longer than my doublet scopes.

But when cooled down I doubt very much that you will see much in a difference between the two.

I use cheaper Skywatcher Evostar Achromats (120 and 150mm) and two triplet APO's for my double star observing.

The Evostars do a fantastic job, and my 102mm APO gives me the most wonderful double stars views I've ever seen.

For the price of the scopes you mentioned, you could get a Zeiss Telementor. Allegedly one of the finest double star scopes ever made.

Cheers,

Andy.

A friend of mine bought one of those brand new in 1987 from Broadhurst in London. I couldn't believe the money he was spending on a tiny refractor when there was all these lovely big shiny scopes in the showroom for not much more. More importantly, it was only a 63mm, almost the same size as my Tasco......is this bloke mad!!!!! It wasn't until he turned that scope onto Albireo that i realised why he was so enthusiastic about it. It was an awesome scope.

Russ

Archived