skyliner tracking

Hi, ive recently got myself a skywatcher flextube 250 auto. Im having trouble with the tracking on planets. It drifts off and is jerky. sometimes the motors wont slew to the left or right, it makes a noise but seems to get stuck, and sometimes it drops down when im pressing up!

Is this due to me doing something wrong or is it something you just get use too?

I level the scope to start with, point north and set to 0, then turn off and on everytime i begin. is this correct?

Hello Mason

Iv'e got a skywatcher auto tracking dob, I also had prob's with tracking there is a lot of play in the motors, I found the manual so bad nothing seem to work , I got round it all by buying a Synscan az hand control now the scope is a full goto even the motors seem to run better. you can set the backlash and this cut's out a lot of play in the gear's but it will cost a few pound'

Robert

just taken a look robert. very interesting.

Thats a great idea having the power pack. I was going to buy a 7ah power tank. Could save some cash doing it your way!

Im fascinated to know that you can plug in a synscan to turn it into a go-to. I thought there was compatibility issues with the motor encoders. I think i will get one even if its just to get the motors to behave better.

Hi

If you get a SynScan hand control just make sure it is the SynScan AZ one. Unfortunately the SynScan hand control that is readily available to buy on it's own is the EQ version and it seems that you can only obtain the AZ version by purchasing a Skywatcher SynScan AZ GOTO Mount and Tripod. The EQ hand control is wired differently and will not plug into the Skyliner.

John

Sorry Mason, I should have told you what John has just said. It was john whom i bought my scope of, If you need to know more i'm sure john wont mind giving you all the info. And if you want a list of part's for the power box i'll put it together for you.

Robert

Archived