Telescope: Multiple Piggybacks

I am new to astronomy, but am interested in getting in to astrophotography. I currently have a Mead LX200 12" and am almost complete with my small observatory. I would like to add an autoguider to my setup (thinking Orion's Awesome Autoguider Package), however, I would also like to have the option of attaching a DSLR (Canon 40D) to the scope for wide angle photos.

I know the autoguider will mount to the top of the scope via a rail system. The scope I purchased came with a rail on the bottom side for weights. Also attached is a telrad offset from center.

Can I mount a dslr to the bottom rail towards the front? Will I have a problem balancing the scope with the autoguiding system attached?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ryan

You can buy the piggy back mounts that can fix a camera to the meade at the back...

Ahh now here is the crux - for wide angle stuff with the DSLR you would probably be interested in going beyond 5 mins with exposures - so you would need an equatorial wedge so the mount tracked equatorially instead of in Alt-Az

Chris

Yes, you can attach a scope to the bottom too, just obviously make sure it clears the forks properly.

If you had the same sized scope top and bottom, it'd be nicely balanced!

Just make sure you balance it in all directions and it'll work fine, I've seen several pictures if this being done.

Put a few grams of weight into your East fork battery compartment too, this will make it track and guide better as the motors will always be pushing the scope in the direction it needs to go in, and have it very slightly heavier at the eyepiece/camera end.

Have fun!

Cheers

Rob

I also have a 12" lx200 classic in a Argos Tin Shed Observatory...

I've fitted a top plate which can hold an ST80 + QHY5 guide system I also have a couple (!!) of piggyback camera mounting brackets to handle wide angle stuff and a single weight bar underneath.

Yes, you will need a wedge etc if you don't have one already.

Balancing need not be 3D-4D stuff!!

Balance the OTA first with a slide weight and then balance the fork by adding some weight to the arms... much, much simpler!!!!

Ken

Wow! Thank you all for the quick replies!

I have the Meade Superwedge, so I'm covered there. I am concerned that the mount and camera will not clear the forks when pointed South, my primary viewing direction. I guess I will have to see..

Merlin, your additional camera piggy back mounts, where are they located? Do they mount directly to the scope? Sorry, I'm just a little confused.

Thanks again,

Ryan

Archived