Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Omni XLT 120 vs Evostar 120 (EQ5) Refractors

Timm65

Hi All

Really could do with some help and opinions.

I currently have a Omni XLT 120 cg4 on order with Telescope Planet. (Don't want to bash them yet, as they have done nothing wrong to me so far)

Unfortunately according to EVERY Distributer and the main importer, the Celestron 120 will not be back in stock till Late April-May. Placed my order in Jan at which time the wait has gone from a one month to 5 months. So I'm getting an itchy eye!

Now thinking should I swap my order So what do you think? (Please stick to the scopes in question)

So the choices are

Evostar 120 (EQ5) Refractor. It comes with better mount and more stuff 2"Star Diag, 10mm & 25mm EP's. I understand the EP's value, but how much is the 2" diag worth in the scheme of things (I don't mean £ worth, I mean viewing worth)

For £369

Or

Stick with the Celestron XLT 120 CG-4 Comes with CG-4 Mount and less stuff 1.25 Star Diag and 25mm EP. But the sales speal does bag on about its XLT coatings.

For £279,

(Telescope Planet are committed to this deal as they have confirmed order and taken my money.)

Either option would require me to buy more/replacement stuff

EP's (5, 7-8, 10, 12-15, 25 and 32) or may go done Barlow option, will discuss this when scope choice is made.

And what is the 2" diag worth against a 1.25 with 120mm F8.3 refractor.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post hope it made sense and I look forward to your input in helping me decide.

Clear Skies and twitchless eyes x

Cheers

Tim ;)

Hi Tim,

5 months is long time to wait for a scope when you could have another identical spec scope now, all be it in a different colour. Performance will be identical between the Evostar 120 and XLT 120. So it comes down to the mount and accessories. I think the EQ5 vs CG4 and 2" diagonal make the Skywatcher worth the extra £90 over the Celestron. The 120 refractor is quite heavy, so you will appreciate the extra load capacity once you have it.

Hope that helps you in your dilemma.

Russ

Archived