Horse head

Hi out there,

I've been trying for a few nights now to see the horse head neb i know where it is but i just can't see it. M43 no prob's.

I've got a 10" skywatcher skyliner 250px auto dob 6-9-12-25mm +barlow len's i've mixed and matched but on luck.

Is my scope just not big enough. I live in N Ire we've had some great sky's this week , can anyone help please.

Mant thank's robert:icon_scratch:

It's an incredibly difficult object to see I believe (I've not managed to se it either as yet). It needs very dark, transparent skies, good aperture (I think 10" might be on the small side) and a Hydrogen Beta filter I believe. I know folks with 16" scopes that have also not been able to see this object.

So you are not alone !

Hi John ,Yes it is intensified ,my only prob its linked upto my etx 70 beside the computer in a bedroom so untill i can pinch my son's laptop and get it outside to the dob i'll just have to look for other neb's.

mybe you can help me with this one , I was looking at Pleiades tonight in the middle their are 4 star's 3 in a triangle and one large and much brighter ,it had like a gas cloud around it but it looked more like a Galaxy, Have you ever seen this.

Thanks robert

What scope was you looking at M45 with.

In a large dob you might see some nebulosity surrounding the stars. There is no galaxy within M45 I'm afraid.

You can also mistake dewed or steamed up optics for nebulosity.

It's all but impossible unless you've got big aperture, very dark skies and the proper filter. And even then, all you'd see is a kind of notch in the nebulosity behing it.

However, I saw it with a simple orange tubed Celestron C8...equipped with a Mallincam. ;) And that was during a first quarter Moon and a plaza parking lot about 1000 yards away.

David

Hi mick,

I was using a 10"Skywatcher it has a fan at the mirror so it won't mist up plus i was out with the scope for around an hour very clear sky's tonight temp droping a little, but a very good viewing night

Thank,s robert

I mean on the eyepiece it self, similar to if you breathe on it. I have mistaken nebulosity as this a few times they look very similar.

hI all, That was another great night's viewing ,the star's are jumping out of the sky and the quarter moon was somthing else, we've got a bit of a frost coming down in N Ireland

Mick you might have been right about the eyepiece, i give it a clean before using it i still could see nebulosity around the brighter star's in Pleiades but not the same as lastnight.

Jumping with joy seen my first cluster M35

Archived