Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

20x80 "Mystery": First Light

yeti monster

41995003bb4cecd7ba09c4c6b6893612_4163.jpg?dl=1265737697

First light on these binoculars was M42, as I was adjusting the focus I noticed something moving past M24, following the sword of Orion down and continuing, in a North to South direction. Looking up with naked eyes, I couldn't see this object. I quickly went back to the binoculars and tilted them down until I recaptured the object. Going the wrong way for ISS, I summised that it must be an iridium, although if was a very prolonged flare, as I followed it for seveal seconds before it fell behind the hill. Upon checking HA, I could see that Iridium 18* was scheduled for that time, in that direction. I'm really pleased that my short, first light produced such a spectacle.

As for a review of the Union Optics Company of China lenses etc. That will have to wait until I have wrapped up and found a suitable chair for this, rather chilly but oh so clear, first night back in the wintery UK, after returning from the tropical South China Seas.

889a9c317ee8627b7e7908a50f14d65c_4160.jpg?dl=1265736744

*Edit: Having realised that I'd neglected to change my observing site on HA, I find that it wasn't Iridium 18, but Cosmos 1633 rocket body, which has an "intrinsic" magnitude of 5.5.

I was able to pull Mars into a small, pink, disc. Although there appears to be a slight refraction spectrum in the left optics, which isn't present in the right. As I have yet to really look at them for any residual smudging from previous "potential customers"m I can#t say whether this is a permenant thing, although I only really noticed it when looking at Mars.

Looking at M42 again, alongside my Celestron 114 Newt +40mm Kellner EP (more "first light" here too). not disimilar FOVs. I was very cold still, jet lagged and pestered by cleods. I can say that the 20x80s comfotably fitted Orions belt across the FOV.

I need clearer skies and more layers. Although I've had a few hours kip.

Archived