NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Omni XLT 120

Hi to all on SGL

I am considering replacing my Nextstar 6se with a new scope a refractor seems a better choice, holds collimatiom well and doesn't need long to settle down temp wise I am considering the Celestron Omni XLT 120, I would like to use a scope on an equatorial mounted set up and have seen that the Omni has had a lot of good reviews.

Any opinions folks?

Thanks, Alan

Celestron CPC 925

Celestron Nextstar 6se

Vixen/Televue EPs

Canon 1000D

The 120 appears to be a popular choice at the moment. I haven't owned the Celestron version but i have owned the Skywatcher Evostar 120. It was a terrific scope, a little bit of CA but not too distracting and almost cleared up with a filter. I found it a nice instrument to use on all objects.

Only downsides were it's size and weight. On the EQ3 that the Evostar was supplied with, the EQ struggled with damp down times but more so a lack of height in the tripod. Anything near the zenith required some painful back breaking (or kneeling on a wet lawn) positions.

But it should make a good companion to the C9.25 and a good alternative to the 6SE. Quicker cool down, tighter stars, zero maintenance and better contrast. I couldn't live with two SCT's, i find one enough. I need the dob for quick, hassle free observing but a large refractor would be very nice too.

Thanks for the feedback russ.

Hope to sell my 6se and will then be looking to get hold of a 12O. Should get a different perspective compared to views with my 925

Clear skies (well you never know,its got to change sooner or later)!

Alan

Celestron CPC 925

Vixen/Televue EP's

Canon 1000D

Archived