Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon RAW format

Howdy,

I have recently been givan a 1000d, (birthday gift, woohoo!), and this will be my astro imaging camera.

Talking to Blinky last night he recomended that I set the camera to save in RAW format and process in DSS using the RAW files. Now, in DSS and in the RAW/FITS DPP Settings we went to select my camera but the 1000d is not listed. Craig suggested that I use the 400d setting in the FITS tab but to check with you guys just to make sure. The Bayer Mask in all of the Canon cameras in this tab all look the same so are we right to assume that it doesn't really matter?

Any help appriciated........ :)

Cheers,

Gary

I don't select anything under FITS (i.e., don't check the box that says Monochrome FITS files, etc...). Then, when I select file(s), I just open the CR2 file(s). If I'd had to select anything, I guess it would have been one of the Digital Rebel or Kiss models, as the 1000D is called that elsewhere I believe (1000D is 12 bit, not 16 bit (450D), and 10MB, while 450=12MB, 350=6MB, I think). Just selecting RAW without FITS settings seems to work for me - but I might give the FITS settings a go and see what happens, now you have brought it to my attention.

Ame

M.

Thanks for that M. I set it as a 350d as per your 1st reply. Then I disabled the FITS check box. I will try it both ways if the sky ever clears, but 1st I will try it without FITS enabled.

Thanks for your help mate.

Gary

Archived