Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with DSS.

Could someone advise me on which setting to use in DSS so that my pictures show their colour. I have an Oly E510 with I use for dso's, I shoot in RAW .ORF file format. But when they load in DSS they seem to come out without much colour. And under the properties of the files, they are listed as 16Bit grey. What would the best way to combine the different exposures, 8Min, 3Min, 1Min, 30sec and 15Sec. Any help very appreciated.

Thank you.

I save the result from DSS - ie without any real colour - as a Tiff file and process that in a image package like paintshop pro/photoshop and in that environment is the place where you bring out the colours.

DSS is only a stepping stone between your subs and processing the final image.

The images are read as 16 Bit Grey raw as that's what they are. The Bayer matrix is layered over the top to produce the colour information. I'm not all the knowledgeable about that side of it, so I'm just gonna stop there... There's info in the DSS help about Debayering, and plenty of very knowledgable people on here.

Suffice to say, that stacked result in DSS only appears grey.. push up the saturation slider to 20% or so. Equally, I don't use the DSS adjustments, and prefer to do all that myself, and I've found that most of the colour pops out in stretching the histogram anyway.

Archived