NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars AVI video stack with point and shoot!

Space Cowboy

Got around the problem of the video stream on my Acer digicam only being in auto settings which meant my last attempt was over exposed. Last night I stacked two 2x barlows plus the star diagonal and 32mm super plossl. With the mak 127 having a 1500mm length this gives a mag of 288x. Looking through the eyepiece this produced my best ever view of the planet showing surface detail as well as the ice cap. Soooo....attached the digi cam and cranked up the zoom to 3x giving an eye popping mag of nearly 900x !! Totally crazy well over the 254x optimum of the scope I know. Took some single snaps then decided to try the video. Bingo! The extra magnification had reduced the image brightness enough for the auto settings to cope! Below is the result of stacking best 95 frames (95%) in registax out of over 2500 frames (also stacked 1200 frames at 90% with similar result).

Quite chuffed with result as there was a breeze blowing and the image was shaking.(rotated image so ice cap is on top)

space-cowboy-albums-mars-picture4135-mars-95-stack-superenlarged.jpg

Yes I adjusted wavelets. Not sure how you tweak the RGB align? Stacking and wavelets are the limit of my processing knowledge :)

I'm no whizz at it, and my experience very limited sofar, (and only with Registax4..) At the wavelets page click the RGB align tab.. I believe there's an auto option but I prefered to play manually with it..

I uncheck one colour, ie blue, then use the up/down left/right buttons to move red to register it to the (fixed, unmovable) green..

then recheck blue, uncheck red, and same proceedure... then uncheck green and see how the red and blue align.. because of atmospheric dispersion and wotnot, sometimes all 3 can't be aligned and compromise needs to be made... worth a try, fun anyway ;)

I'm no whizz at it, and my experience very limited sofar, (and only with Registax4..) At the wavelets page click the RGB align tab.. I believe there's an auto option but I prefered to play manually with it..

I uncheck one colour, ie blue, then use the up/down left/right buttons to move red to register it to the (fixed, unmovable) green..

then recheck blue, uncheck red, and same proceedure... then uncheck green and see how the red and blue align.. because of atmospheric dispersion and wotnot, sometimes all 3 can't be aligned and compromise needs to be made... worth a try, fun anyway :)

Thanks for the info! I'm using version 5...not quite seeing what your describing. I do remember seeing a registax tutorial on here somewhere will have to look it up.

Archived